Mountain Spirit Institutes Responsible Travel Values
Mountain Spirit Institute is committed to environmentally, culturally
sensitive and sustainable tourism. We are proactively involved
with our relationships on Federal and Native American lands, and
in Peru. MSI gives back on each program in the form of educational
materials, health supplies and has plans for financially aiding
certain key projects in Peru that will aid sustainable tourism
and community development.
Our groups are no larger than 15 people and average seven to
ten participants. Our policy is to travel in the smallest groups
possible, which lessens our impact both on people were visiting
and the earth. We travel in a way that respects the traditional
way of life of the peoples we are visiting. We practice 'Leave
No Trace' outdoor ethics.
MSI is proactive in collaborating with other environmental, cultural
and philanthropic organizations such as Fair Trade and The Mountain
Institute. The Executive Director is an individual member of The
American Mountain Guides Association, and MSI is member of the
New Hampshire Center for NonProfits, and a soon-to-be member of
Sustainable Travel International.
Core Values regarding Responsible International and Domestic
- Comply with local environmental and use regulations delineated
and have a proactive policies and procedures manual.
- Maintain group size to a minimum: average size 7-10, maximum
12 participants in backcountry, alpine, desert and other sensitive
- Blend in with the local culture as much a possible by educating
our guides and participants of MSIs expectations of mutual
respect while interacting with foreign cultures.
- Give back to the communities and countries we visit with service
projects, education, donations or assisting in funding through
- Guide, facilitator and participant training in Leave No Trace
backcountry, hiking, climbing and camping ethics.
- Do commerce with local businesses whenever and wherever possible.
- Work with local guides, travel agencies, and lodges.
- Consider economic, environmental and cultural elements in
- Local guides, travel agents, porters and others rendering
service receive a fair rate for their services.
- MSI works, in the form of active support and programming,
with local environmental, educational conservation organizations
and land use managers in preserving the natural environment
for future generations.
If you have any questions regarding our policies, please feel
free to contact us.
Return to top of page